We’re looking for a Project Coordinator to join the Fastmail team in our Center
City Philadelphia office. Help us keep building the best in privacy-first,
people-centered email, calendars, and contacts!
What you’ll be doing
Email is a critical part of people’s day, which means our customers count on
Fastmail for a smooth, consistent experience. Project coordinators help us meet
that expectation. You’ll be a critical part of our process, from research to
A smoothly functioning project at Fastmail has a project coordinator who can:
- define goals
- clarify how goals relate to the work the team is doing
- manage a detailed list of what we consider necessary to complete the project
- have regular touchpoints with the team
- keep the wider company informed (as specified by the requirements of the
- coordinate interactions, to make sure dependencies and timing are handled.
You’ll be responsible for timing and understanding. Like the conductor of an
orchestra, you’ll make sure work begins on time, with notice that people’s
parts are coming up soon. You set the tone of the group.
You keep people focused on the key goals. You answer questions. You get people
together when misunderstandings are creeping in.
Project coordinators also help with general funneling and prioritization of
work. You’ll see work and potential work. This could be monitoring comments and
feature requests from the support team for trends that could become projects,
reviewing bugs and other immediate tasks, or sifting ideas that should be
flagged for future projects. Either directly or through coordinating with
staffers, you’ll consider and prioritize work.
Who will do well at this job
This role may be great for you if you are:
- a systematic thinker — can work forward and backward (in time and plans), and
spot missing steps and unspoken assumptions
- good at logistics — able to spot implications and develop timelines
- invested in people — warm, encouraging, good at drawing people out, and
- comfortable communicating outwards.
An ideal candidate would have:
- previous experience in project management
- an eye for risk, and good at asking the questions that help others spot (and
- a stakeholder mindset — being able to understand the "why" of a project helps
ensure that the team is solving the need and not just the technical definition
of the work.
Like everyone at Fastmail, you should understand the value of privacy-centered
tools, and believe in privacy as a customer right. We also work across time
zones, so you should be an excellent writer, and very comfortable communicating
We manage projects in Notion and LiquidPlanner, and expect to train any hire
in them. But we’d love to hear about what you love in systems you’ve used
Working at Fastmail
This is a full-time role. Like everyone on our team, you’ll get great benefits.
- 100% covered medical and dental benefits for you from day one
- generous contributions for partners and dependent coverage (also available from day one)
- four weeks of paid time off
- paid sick leave, holidays, and parental leave
- paid sabbatical for long-term staff
- annual professional development budget to fund your own growth
- supportive work environment
- team events to share your passions (from tech tools and user testing to crafts, movies, and games)
- fully remote until July 2021 (at least)
This job is based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Right now, we’re all working
from home, but in general we have a strong in-person culture, and would like to
have someone who will be on site and part of that culture once it’s safe to
hang out in person again.
We also have an office in Melbourne, Australia, and we’re in close
communication with them. This means that you’ll need to be available for an
hour or two of evening calls each week. We are partners, parents and
caregivers ourselves, and we understand time-zone flexibility goes in both
directions. Talk to us if you’re unsure. (Also, once it’s safe to travel
again, you’ll have the opportunity to travel to Melbourne, an artsy and
charming Australian city!)
You can read about our values, and our
blog contains interviews with some of the people
who will become your colleagues at Fastmail.
We encourage employees to write and speak about the great work we do, and to
stay engaged with their professional peers. Many staff members choose to
attend conferences for learning and networking, and several staff members are
regular conference speakers.
We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, pregnancy,
gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation. We can help
you relocate to Philadelphia if needed. The thing we can’t help with is a visa
or sponsorship. You must already have the right to work in the United States.
Sounds great, what’s next?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to introduce yourself and tell us
why you would be a good fit for the job. Send us a resume (as a PDF, please)
More importantly, though, have something else to say! Let us know what you’re
interested in, what makes the job interesting, and anything else you want to
tell us up front.
Job Type: Full-time