Part-time Graduate/Assistant Accountant
We're looking for a Part-time Graduate/Assistant Accountant to join the Fastmail team in our Melbourne office. Come work on the original social media platform—email—at a place that strives to put the customer's needs first.
About the Job
Fastmail is growing! Our Finance and Administration team, assisted by a full-time Data Scientist, is looking to add a third part-time member. You'll help us streamline our monthly accounting operations, so we can improve and build out new forecasting, cash flow projections, and cross border tracking.
The key responsibilities of this role include:
- Accounts payable & receivable including processing invoices and credits, payroll and end of month bank reconciliations in Xero
- Timely and accurate completion of month end accounting including posting of entries, balance sheet reconciliations and supporting schedules
- Assisting with the preparation of weekly, monthly and quarterly management reports including variance analysis and providing commentary around actual results compared to the budget and forecasts
- Assisting with the preparation of annual budgets and quarterly forecast projections
- Assisting with preparation of cashflow forecasts
- Financial analysis and assisting with ensuring tax compliance
- Ad-hoc duties as required
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Commerce or similar
- CA/CPA Qualified or working towards being qualified
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Have a willingness to learn as you go
- Strong problem solving ability
- A high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- The capacity to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritise own work and to take the initiative and responsibility for ensuring deadlines are met
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken, with the ability to engage with a range of key stakeholders, both internal and external
- Experience with Xero accounting software is a plus but not essential
- Experience in multiple currencies and USA standards will be looked upon favourably
Working at Fastmail
This job is based in Melbourne CBD. We have a strong in-person culture and are looking for someone who will be on-site and part of that culture.
We also have an office in Philadelphia, USA, and we're in close communication with them. Because of the time difference, occasionally you might need to be available outside of your usual schedule for a team meeting.
We value people who are enthusiastic to learn and improve their skills—and we give you a professional development budget to do so, and we'll cover your annual certification costs.
You can read about our values, and our blog contains interviews with some of the people who will become your colleagues at Fastmail.
Like everyone on our team, you'll get good benefits (including 4 weeks paid parental leave), equipment, books, and whatever else you need to do your job comfortably.
We see this as a part-time role where good communication is essential. All staff spend a portion of their week in the office and you'll need to spend some of your work time physically present in our Melbourne office too when lockdown restrictions allow. There's flexibility in that though — we are partners, parents, and carers ourselves. Talk to us if you're unsure.
We welcome all applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, age, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation.
The thing we can't help with is visas or sponsorship. You must already have the right to work in Australia.
Sounds great, what’s next?
Email us at email@example.com to introduce yourself and tell us why you would be a good fit for the job! As part of your application please also include a PDF of your resume. We'd also love to hear what you’re interested in, what makes the job interesting, and anything else you want to tell us up front.
Job Type: Part-time, 3 days/week.