Part-time Assistant Accountant
We're looking for a Part-time Assistant Accountant to join the Fastmail team in our Melbourne office. Fastmail works on the original social media platform—email—and strives to put the customer's needs first. We need your help to support our growing operational needs.
About the Job
Fastmail is growing! Our Finance and Administration team, assisted by a full-time Data Scientist, is looking to add a third part-time member. You'll help us streamline our monthly accounting operations, so we can improve and build out new forecasting, cash flow projections, and cross border tracking.
The key responsibilities of this role include:
- Accounts payable & receivable including processing invoices and credits, payroll and end of month bank reconciliations in Xero
- Timely and accurate completion of month end accounting including posting of entries, balance sheet reconciliations and supporting schedules
- Assisting with the preparation of weekly, monthly and quarterly management reports including variance analysis and providing commentary around actual results compared to the budget and forecasts
- Assisting with the preparation of annual budgets and quarterly forecast projections
- Assisting with preparation of cashflow forecasts
- Financial analysis and assisting with ensuring tax compliance
- Ad-hoc duties as required
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Commerce or similar
- CA/CPA Qualified or working towards being qualified
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- A willingness to learn and grow
- Strong problem solving ability
- A high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- The capacity to work independently, and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritise your own work and to take the initiative and responsibility for ensuring deadlines are met
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken, with the ability to engage with a range of key stakeholders, both internal and external
Highly desirable qualities that will help you get started faster:
- Experience with Xero accounting software
- Experience in multiple currencies and USA tax/compliance standards
- Experience in a similar role
Working at Fastmail
This job is based in Melbourne CBD. We have a strong in-person culture and are looking for someone who will be on-site and part of that culture.
We also have an office in Philadelphia, USA, and we're in close communication with them. Because of the time difference, occasionally you might need to be available outside of your usual schedule for a team meeting.
We value people who are enthusiastic to learn and improve their skills—and we give you a professional development budget to do so, and we'll cover your annual certification costs.
You can read about our values, and our blog contains interviews with some of the people who will become your colleagues at Fastmail.
Like everyone on our team, you'll get good benefits, equipment, books, and whatever else you need to do your job comfortably.
We see this as a part-time role where good communication is essential. All staff spend a portion of their week in the office and you'll need to spend some of your work time physically present in our Melbourne office too. There's flexibility in that though — we are partners, parents, and carers ourselves. Talk to us if you're unsure.
With our in-person culture, we want all our staff to feel safe when we’re together: we require staff to have their vaccinations up to date, or hold a medical exemption certificate.
We welcome all applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, age, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation.
The thing we can't help with is visas or sponsorship. You must already have the right to work in Australia.
Sounds great, what’s next?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You must have a cover letter to tell us a little bit about yourself, why you would be a good fit for the job, why you’re interested in working at Fastmail, why the part-time nature of the role is important to you and anything else you’d like to tell us up front. Please also include a PDF of your resume.
Job Type: Part-time, 3 days/week, days are negotiable.
Salary range: 55k-75k pro-rata.