Engineering Manager 2021
Melbourne CBD, Australia
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to join the Fastmail team in our Melbourne office. We provide email services that are efficient, resilient, and great to work with. We want our technical teams to be like that too, and that's where you come in!
About the job
Your job is to help the technical staff in Melbourne do their best work, both individually and as a team. That means helping individuals grow their skills and helping the team refine a culture that supports effective collaboration. You'll report to the CTO. The technical team is broken down into several broad areas of concern, roughly: hardware and platform, backend software, client software. You'll be managing members from several of those areas, making sure that they're doing their best work and feeling good about its importance to the company. This means you'll be taking on responsibilities ranging from individual coaching to team meeting facilitation to project management.
- coach members of the team on their daily work and long-term goals
- improve our practices and norms to eliminate bottlenecks — both those caused by our processes and those caused by human behavior
- work with senior staff on developing and assessing staff skills over time
- facilitate cross-team meetings, both regular stand-ups and ad hoc decision-making meetings
- monitor and guide the execution of projects and of the regular flow of miscellaneous tasks
- together with the rest of company leadership, make sure that everyone understands the company's current work and how they fit into it
- recruit and hire new team members, with an emphasis on increasing our diversity
Who will do well at this job
This role may be great for you if you are:
- a team builder — you get people to work with each other, not just with you
- invested in growing people — you can help others build on strengths and work on weaknesses, and understand how different people are motivated differently
- a clear communicator — you know how to draw out assumptions and avoid confusion
- good at logistics — able to spot implications and develop timelines
- a systems thinker — you hold many interrelated problems in your head at once
An ideal candidate would have:
- a few years experience leading an engineering team
- a firm grasp of software development and system administration practices, preferably from time spent in one of those roles
- previous experience in project management
- a firm grasp of using Linux for basic day-to-day work
- experience working with (maybe very) remote colleagues
Like everyone at Fastmail, you should understand the value of privacy-centered tools, and believe in privacy as a customer right. We also work across time zones, so you should be very comfortable communicating in text: clear, unambiguous, and empathetic whether on Slack or email — both of which you'll be using a lot.
Working at Fastmail
This job is based in Melbourne CBD. We have a strong in-person culture. All our staff spend at least some of their work week in the office, and we’re looking for someone who will be there, too. (Obviously, this requirement is contingent on lockdown restrictions allowing it again!) This is a full-time role.
We also have an office in Philadelphia, USA, and we're in close communication with them. Because of the time difference, occasionally you might need to be available outside of your usual schedule for a team meeting.
We value people who are enthusiastic to learn and improve their skills—and we give you a professional development budget to do so, and we'll cover your annual certification costs.
You can read about our values, and our blog contains interviews with some of the people who will become your colleagues at Fastmail.
Like everyone on our team, you'll get good benefits, equipment, books, and whatever else you need to do your job comfortably.
We welcome all applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, age, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation.
The thing we can't help with is visas or sponsorship. You must already have the right to work in Australia.
Sounds great, what's next?
Email us at email@example.com to introduce yourself and
tell us why you would be a good fit for the job. Send us a resume (as a PDF,
please). More importantly, though, have something else to say! Let us know
what you’re interested in, what makes the job interesting, and anything else
you want to tell us up front.