Senior UX Designer 2022
Melbourne CBD, Australia
We’re looking for a Senior UX Designer to join the Fastmail team at our Melbourne office.
Together with the rest of our team, you’ll work on our email services Fastmail and Topicbox. When the vast majority of people get email for free, the reason
people choose a paid service is because they value both privacy and a great user experience.
About the job
We’re looking for an experienced UX designer to join us to push our customer experience to the next level.
You’ll be part of a great product and development team, and have the
- Create simpler interactions so less technical users can benefit from our advanced tools — new experiences of existing tools are often perceived as entirely new features!
- Collaborate with your colleagues to synthesize existing and new research to derive actionable insights and prioritise improvements
- Prototype design changes - from incremental to radically different - in order to get user feedback and insights
- Bring structure & standardisation to the way the product team delivers new user facing designs & features
- Update the new user experience, streamlining setup and some of our core interactions in a way that resonates with and activates a generalist audience
- Expand our design system, Elemental, to incorporate new patterns addressing existing pain points
Who will do well at this job
We are looking for a seasoned UX practitioner with:
- a strong grasp on Information Architecture and hierarchy, Navigation Design,
- a priority on design for ease over design for aesthetics
- experience with lightweight prototyping to check key decisions early in the
- the ability to explore user problems via formal and informal research and
translate it into tangible insights
You feel comfortable identifying opportunities for improvement, brainstorming
new ideas, and offering new features based on your observations.
Experience overhauling existing products through a phased, iterative approach
is not required, but would make you a compelling candidate!
Like everyone at Fastmail, you should understand the value of privacy-centered tools, and believe in privacy as a customer right. We also work across time zones, so you should be very comfortable communicating in text: clear, unambiguous, and empathetic whether on Slack or email — both of which you’ll be using a lot.
You should have a portfolio of work that demonstrates experience in product
thinking, and the ability to talk about what you bring to projects. We are open
to applicants who come to this role from a range of backgrounds and
experiences. Tell us why you’d be a great fit.
Working at Fastmail
At Fastmail, we believe in helping people live a connected, enriching life, and
that’s not just for our customers. Our staff is composed of people with real
lives and diverse interests, and our enthusiasm for pursuing what matters is
foundational to who we are.
This job is based in Melbourne CBD. We have a strong in-person culture. All our staff spend at least some of their work week in the office, and we’re looking for someone who will be there, too. (Obviously, this requirement is contingent on lockdown restrictions allowing it again!) This is a full-time role.
We also have an office in Philadelphia, USA, and we're in close communication with them. Because of the time difference, occasionally you might need to be available outside of your usual schedule for a team meeting.
You can read about our values, and our blog contains interviews with some of the people who will become your colleagues at Fastmail.
Like everyone on our team, you'll get good benefits, equipment, books, and
whatever else you need to do your job comfortably. We value people who are
enthusiastic to learn and improve their skills—and we give you a professional
development budget to do so.
We welcome all applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, age, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation.
The thing we can't help with is visas or sponsorship. You must already have the right to work in Australia.
Sounds great, what's next?
Email us at email@example.com to introduce yourself or ask a question about the role! This job requires clear
written communication, so that message is part of your application. When
applying, please be sure to attach your resume and a link to your portfolio to