Customer Support Team Lead
We're looking for a Customer Support Team Lead to join the Fastmail team in our Philadelphia office. When the vast majority of people get email for free, the reason people choose Fastmail is that they love email, value their privacy, and appreciate access to an all-star support team. We love our customers and want to give them the best possible experience. That's where you come in!
About the job
We take an expansive view of customer support. It’s both a feature and our best avenue for connecting with and learning about our customers. We want someone who recognizes our team for the customer experts they are!
You will help lead our team alongside our Support Team Lead in India and our Customer Experience Manager. As a team leader, you’ll be responsible for the execution of tasks & duties associated with the Support team including:
- Maintaining, introducing, or championing initiatives that can improve the customer experience.
- Driving team efficiencies, including processes, tooling, and documentation.
- Providing support and guidance to support agents.
- Conducting 1:1s & semi-annual reviews with support agents.
- Reviewing agents’ work and performance data for gaps in knowledge.
- Coordinating or conducting appropriate coaching for agents.
- Participating in the hiring and onboarding process for new agents.
- Helping resolve customer concerns (including tickets, social media, chats, and phone calls).
You’ll also spend about 40% of your time directly responding to customer requests yourself.
This role may be great for you if:
You lead by example, showing the rest of the team how to provide a positive experience for customers, as well as how to bring the customer’s voice to the table in discussions with product teams.
You're enthusiastic about the value of team goals, including average first response time, resolution time, and rate of first-response resolutions.
You love to make connections with people, join the dots, and spot opportunities to make people happy. People say you really get them.
You love to solve tricky technical problems. You are driven to find the underlying issue and how to resolve it.
An ideal candidate has:
- at least one year of experience leading a team that uses ticketing software such as Zendesk,
- at least three years of experience in customer support or a related field,
- experience as the escalation point for customers and the direct contact point for high-touch customers,
- plus strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal language skills, patience, diligence, and attention to detail.
Half your colleagues will be many hours offset from you in either Australia or India, so you must be comfortable working via email, chat, and video chat.
Working at Fastmail
This is a full-time role. Like everyone on our team, you’ll get great benefits.
- 100% covered medical and dental benefits for you from day one
- generous contributions for partners and dependent coverage (also available from day one)
- four weeks of paid time off
- paid sick leave, holidays, and parental leave
- paid sabbatical for long-term staff
- annual professional development budget to fund your own growth
- supportive work environment
- team events to share your passions (from tech tools and user testing to crafts, movies, and games)
This job is based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. We have a strong in-person culture and are looking for someone who will be on-site and part of that culture.
We also have team members in Australia and India and we’re in close communication with them. This means that you’ll need to be available for a couple of evening calls each week. We are partners, parents, and caregivers ourselves, and we understand time-zone flexibility goes in both directions. Talk to us if you’re unsure.
We encourage employees to write and speak about the great work we do, and we value people who are enthusiastic to learn and improve their skills—and we give them a conference budget to do so. Many staffers write articles on our blog, and we hope you will, too. Several staff members are regular conference speakers.
You can read about our values, and our blog contains interviews with some of the people who will become your colleagues at Fastmail.
We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation. We can help you relocate to Philadelphia if needed. We can’t help a visa or sponsorship—you must already have the right to work in the United States.
Sounds great, what's next?
Email us at email@example.com to introduce yourself or ask questions about the role! This job requires clear written communication, so that message is part of your application. When applying, please be sure to attach a PDF of your resume.
Job Type: Full-time.