Customer Support Agent
We're looking for a Customer Support Agent to join the Fastmail team in our Philadelphia office.
This position is for someone who will work:
- Friday through Tuesday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Wednesday & Thursday off), or
- Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Saturday & Sunday off)
You can read about our values, and our blog contains interviews with some of the people who will become your colleagues at Fastmail. Like everyone on our team, you’ll get great benefits.
About the job
When the vast majority of people get email for free, people choose Fastmail because they love email, value their privacy, and appreciate access to an all-star support team.
You’ll spend about 85% of your time directly responding to requests from current and prospective customers, primarily via email. Generally, interactions are a mix of troubleshooting and providing customer service that makes people feel heard.
As a Customer Support Agent, you’ll be responsible for the execution of tasks & duties associated with the Support team including:
- Helping customers solve problems with kindness and compassion, and empowering them to resolve issues on their own.
- Troubleshooting and diagnosing technical issues, and escalating complex cases to senior staff or developers when appropriate.
- Responding to customers where they contact us: occasionally you’ll interact with customers via Twitter, phone, or chat.
- Developing and maintaining product knowledge: you’ll be trained on the ins and outs of our products, and you’ll stay informed on trending issues and product updates.
- Assisting with writing and maintaining customer-facing help pages, internal documentation, and standard responses to our most common questions.
- Performing daily tasks to help us stop spam, phishing, and abuse from happening on our mail servers (we’ll show you how).
- Engaging in opportunities to grow your leadership skills, such as facilitating team meetings and participating in interviews for potential colleagues.
We love our customers and want to give them the best possible experience. That's where you come in!
This role may be great for you if:
- You love to solve tricky technical problems. You are driven to find the underlying issue and how to resolve it.
- You're detail-oriented: you have a knack for noticing patterns, making logical connections, and describing things carefully.
- You’re patient and enjoy understanding others. You don’t mind asking questions or explaining something twice. People say you get them.
An ideal candidate has:
- At least one year of experience in customer support or a related field.
- Excellent written and verbal language skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, compassion, enthusiasm, and diligence.
- Bonus: Any experience interacting with customers via ticketing software such as Zendesk, or exposure to technical skills like HTML or coding.
If you are new to technology or tech support and interested in acquiring more technical skills, we're interested in developing that in you! We extend opportunities to people with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
Working at Fastmail
This is a full-time role and includes the following benefits:
- 100% covered medical and dental benefits for you from day one
- generous contributions for partners and dependent coverage (also available from day one)
- four weeks of paid time off
- paid sick leave, holidays, and parental leave
- paid sabbatical for long-term staff
- annual professional development budget to fund your own growth
- supportive work environment
- team events to share your passions (from tech tools and user testing to crafts, movies, and games)
This job is based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. We have a strong in-person culture and are looking for someone who will be on-site and part of that culture.
We also have team members in Australia and India and we’re in close communication with them. This means a fair bit of email and Slack chat, and daily video chats. Occasionally we all need to be available outside of our usual schedules for a meeting. The Philadelphia support team operates 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. seven days a week. We are partners, parents, and caregivers ourselves, and we understand that time-zone flexibility goes in both directions. Talk to us if you’re unsure.
We encourage employees to write and speak about the great work we do, and we value people who are enthusiastic to learn and improve their skills. We’ll give you a conference & development budget to do so.
We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation. We can’t help with a visa or sponsorship—you must already have the right to work in the United States.
Sounds great, what's next?
Email us at email@example.com and introduce yourself, tell us what interests you in working with Fastmail, and let us know what makes you believe you'd be a great fit here! We'd also love to hear what you’re interested in and anything else you want to tell us up front. Please also include a PDF of your resume.
Job Type: Full-time.
Salary: $40k to $45k /year; $45k to $55k /year for schedules that include weekend days