Copyright © 1999–2018 FastMail Pty Ltd
Migrate to FastMail from Outlook.com
Everything you need to know about migrating to FastMail from Outlook.com.
Bring over your email, calendars, contacts and any custom domain with email addresses and aliases too.
The following information makes it easy to move all your information into FastMail, once you have chosen a plan.
- Set up your email address and/or domain
- Transfer your mailbox contents
- Transfer your contacts
- Transfer your calendars
- Making the most of FastMail
1. Set up your email address and/or domain
If you don't own your own domain, you'll need to select an email address at one of the FastMail domains.
If you have your own domain, follow our domain and email migration guide to learn how to transfer your domain, mail accounts, and aliases to FastMail.
2. Transfer your existing mailbox contents
You can transfer your current mailbox into FastMail using two methods: IMAP or POP.
Mail that is held on the server is accessed via IMAP and we recommend using this method. This allows you to make use of our backup services; and lets you access your mail from any of your devices or from any web browser.
Mail that has been downloaded to the desktop and lives within an application is accessed via POP. POP will only download mail from your Inbox; it won't download mail that is directed to other folders you have created.
Mail held on the server (IMAP)
You can import all your mail from your existing provider onto FastMail. This is a one-time task to transfer all your mail, and may take some time to complete.
- Open the Import & Export screen.
- Click the "Import mail from another service" link.
- Enter the following settings:
- IMAP server:
- Username: Your Outlook.com email address, including the domain
- Password: Your Outlook.com password
- Use SSL: Yes
- Remote server prefix: (leave blank)
- IMAP server:
- The "Folders" settings lets you choose whether to:
- Import the mail straight into your existing folders, or
- Keep imported mail separately in a new set of folders (you can then manually move the messages into your existing folders later), or
- Select particular folders to migrate (you choose which folders after you push the migrate button)
- Click the "Migrate" button.
Looking for information on our email migration tool?
Mail stored on the desktop (POP)
If your old mail isn't stored on an IMAP server because you have already downloaded it to your desktop using POP, you can leave it where it is, or you can transfer it to FastMail's IMAP servers for access through the web client.
To transfer mail in your desktop client to FastMail's servers, log onto FastMail from your desktop client and drag the folders containing your existing mail into the FastMail account's folders. Depending on how much mail you have, this can take some time before the mail completes uploading to our servers.
3. Transfer your contacts
4. Transfer your calendars
You need to manually export your events from Outlook.com into an
then import this file into FastMail.
Follow these steps to export your calendar from Outlook.com:
- Sign in to your Outlook.com Calendar
- Click on Share located at the top part of your screen and select the calendar which you’d like to transfer.
- Choose the option which says "Send friends a view only link to your calendar" then click on ICS: import into another calendar application.
- A new dialog box will appear. Copy the link.
- Open a new browser. Paste the link that you previously copied then replace the word
webcalat the beginning of the address with
httpand hit Enter.
- A new dialog box will appear. Please click on Save to download your calendar’s ICS as a .ics file.
Follow these steps to import your calendar information to FastMail:
- Import your calendar using the Import & Export menu to bring it into FastMail. Select the file you downloaded earlier.
If you had your calendar synchronised with a mobile device, you'll want to switch it to talk to FastMail instead of Outlook.com. Use our instructions for common clients to get set up, or use our own FastMail apps.
Need more information? Check out our calendar migration guide.
5. Making the most of FastMail
Here are a few more things to do to help you get the most from FastMail.
Secure your account (2FA)
- Keep your account safe from hackers with our two-step verification support.
Configure your mobile devices
Configure your mobile devices to use FastMail on the go.
- The official FastMail app is the best way to use FastMail on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
- We also have instructions on configuring popular desktop clients if you want access to FastMail in addition to our web interface..
Announce new email address
If you have changed your email address (not applicable if you use your own domain), then be sure to notify everyone in your contact list of your new address.
- Go to Contacts
- Select all contacts
- Compose to
- Cut 'to' list and insert into 'bcc' field (This is important to ensure that individual email addresses are not shared to everyone.)
- Write to all informing them of your new address.
Forward mail from old account
Set up forwarding/importing and leave them in place for some time (not applicable if you use your own domain).
- New mail will still arrive into your old account (either people who didn't read your email above, or newsletter subscriptions that you haven't updated yet). Use a fetch identity or set up a forward at your old account to send any new mail to your account at FastMail.
- You may wish to set up a vacation autoreply on your old account to send information back to anyone who mails you of your new details.
Update old subscriptions
- Save a custom search (looking for all mail at your old email address) in FastMail so you can easily see what mail is still coming to the old address.
- You may wish to monitor your Inbox for mailing list subscriptions that need to be updated. Set up a search for:
header: "List-unsubscribe: <" header:"X-delivered to: <old email address>"
- Save this query so you can run it again periodically to check for any list mail being sent to your old address.
- You'll need to manually change your subscriptions: FastMail can't change your subscription automatically for you unfortunately!
6. Migration complete
You're done. Welcome to email, calendars and contacts done right.