Copyright © 1999–2016 FastMail Pty Ltd
How to set up Outlook
The instructions and screenshots in this setup guide are for Outlook 2013. However, previous versions of Outlook are very similar, and you should be able to more-or-less follow the same steps to set up.
Outlook needs its own app password to access your information. If you use your normal password or your FastMail two step verification password on an external account, syncing to an external service won't work and you will see a password error.
Set up your email
- Open Outlook. It may ask you to set up a new account. If it does not, click the button in the top left of the window, then click .
- Choose Manual setup or additional server types at the bottom of the page. Click Next.
- Choose POP or IMAP. Click Next.
Fill in the user information:
- Your Name: The name people will see on the email you send.
- Email Address: The email address you wish to use for sending mail (this is normally your FastMail username, but can be an alias or another address at your own domain).
Fill in the server information:
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server:
- Outgoing mail server:
Fill in the logon information:
- User Name: Your full FastMail username, including the domain.
- Password: Your Outlook app password.
The screen should look similar to the image below:
- Click the More Settings… button in the lower right of the window.
- Select the Outgoing Server tab and tick the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication box.
Select the Advanced tab.
- Set both the Incoming and Outgoing servers to use SSL encryption.
- Set the Incoming port to be 993.
- Set the Outgoing port to be 465.
It should look exactly as in the screenshot below:
- Click OK to save your changes and close the window. Click Next on the Add Account window. Outlook will perform a connection test. If it finds any issues, double check you've not made a mistake following the steps above.
- Close the connection test window and click Finish.
Using all folders in Outlook
Outlook may not show all of your folders by default. To fix this:
- Click on the FOLDER tab in the main menu.
- Click on IMAP Folders. A new window will open.
Click Query. A list of your folders will then show.
Click on each folder, and then click the Subscribe button. Your screen should look similar to the image below. Click OK to close the window.
Set up your calendar and contacts
Outlook 2013 does not support external calendar or contact server support by itself. You will need to use a third party plugin.