How to set up and use folders
View folders in your mailbox
Folders appear to the left side of the mailbox. There are a few folders that appear by default, and these can not be edited. You can create as many or as few folders as you like, nest folders into subfolders, or create folders based on search criteria.
If you do not see the folder list, you should see a hide/show button in the top-left of the page. Click the button to show the folder list. To set the window so the folder list always shows, go to the Settings → General → Preferences screen.
How do I create a folder?
- Click the "Create or edit folders" link at the bottom of the folder list. This will bring up the Settings → Mail → Folders screen.
- Use the "Create Folder" button in the action bar at the top of the screen.
- Enter the name of the new folder.
- (Optional) Set the parent for the new folder. By default, it will have no parent and live at the same level as your Inbox.
- Choose the visibility for this folder. By default, the folder will appear in your folder list all the time, but you can opt to selectively hide the folder.
- Click the "Save" button in the action bar at the top of the screen.
- Sort priority - Lets you manually control the ordering of your folders in the folder list. Alternatively you can drag and drop in the folder list directly.
- Default personality - Set the personality to use when replying to messages in this folder.
- Spam learning - If enabled, FastMail will learn messages in this folder as spam, or not spam, according to the setting.
- Auto-purge - Automatically delete old messages, where
old means anything from 1 day to 1 year. Pinned messages are safe. Optionally only delete messages that have been flagged as deleted via IMAP.
- Duplicates - Sometimes duplicate copies of an email can arrive in an Inbox for a variety of reasons. This setting automatically removes the extra copies.
How do I manage my folder list?
You can drag and drop folders around in the list to reorder them. Or, drag a folder on top of another folder to nest them.
How do I create a folder from a search query?
FastMail allows you to save your common searches for quick access in the folder list. To do this:
- Type a search query in the search bar on the top of the page.
- Press Enter. The mailbox shows you messages matching your search query.
In the folder list, click the Save button next to your search results. A naming box appears.
Name your search and press the Save button. The search now appears as a folder in the folder list.
Please note, saved searches are only visible in the web interface. It is not possible to access them via external (IMAP) clients.
When setting up your search query, you can also specify a number of advanced search options, such as limiting by a date or a particular subject. These can be used to form a more complicated search folder.