Import or export contacts
Fastmail makes importing or exporting contacts simple. You can upload existing contacts from vCard, CSV or LDIF files, and download your contacts in any of the same formats.
Note that importing and exporting is a one-time operation. If you're looking to keep your contact list constantly up to date, you need to synchronize via CardDAV.
If your provider supports it, you can migrate your contacts to Fastmail using our Import & Setup tool.
- Open the Settings → Import & Setup screen. Under Import, click on the icon for the service you wish to migrate from.
- On the next screen, you'll be asked to log in to your external account.
- You'll then be asked what you want to import. Please select Contacts to import them from your other service.
- Click Do It.
You can continue to use your account as normal while the migration is running.
You can also import your contacts into Fastmail by using another method:
- Go to the Settings → Import & Setup screen.
- Click the Upload Address Book File button.
- Choose the
vCardfile you want to import and click the Select button.
Fastmail will import your contacts. In most cases, we're not able to tell if a contact has been duplicated. We create a new entry for each imported contact to ensure none of your data is lost.
When you import data from another provider, Fastmail may not exactly represent the information in the same way. For instance, there's no way of telling which of several email addresses is the main address. We don't lose any data given to us and everything is imported, however the export and import formats aren't the most reliable.
While the main elements of a contact are the same across platforms (such as name and email address), different contact providers store extra data in ways that are aren't the same as each other.
We can only import files with headers in English at this time.
The first line in a CSV file needs to be a header, so the importer knows what the data in the columns means. The list of standard headers is:
"Title","First Name","Last Name","Nick Name","Company","Department","Job Title","Business Street","Business Street 2","Business City","Business State","Business Postal Code","Business Country","Home Street","Home Street 2","Home City","Home State","Home Postal Code","Home Country","Other Street","Other Street 2","Other City","Other State","Other Postal Code","Other Country","Business Fax","Business Phone","Business Phone 2","Home Phone","Home Phone 2","Mobile Phone","Other Phone","Pager","Birthday","E-mail Address","E-mail 2 Address","E-mail 3 Address","Notes","Web Page"
To export your Fastmail contacts:
- Go to the Contacts screen.
- Choose which contact group you'd like to export, then click the symbol.
- Select what type of export file you'd like to create in the drop-down menu. If you're not sure, we recommend leaving it set to
vCard 3.0, as this is the most widely supported.
- Click OK.
The contacts will begin downloading. You might be asked for where you want to save it on your computer. If not, it'll likely go to your Downloads folder.