Copyright © 1999–2018 FastMail Pty Ltd
Migrate from a legacy plan
Migration is easy! Go to Billing & Plan and select the plan you'd like to move to. If your new plan has less storage than you're currently using, we'll automatically add on the necessary extra quota; it may be cheaper to choose a higher plan.
1. Migrate data
The new plans don't have a 'masteruser' any more. So any private data currently owned by the masteruser must be moved off to one or more regular users before you change plans.
We suggest changing the ownership to a user who has admin privileges. Alternatively, you can make a new user account dedicated for holding the current masteruser information.
To migrate the information via our web interface:
Move any private contacts in the masteruser's contact list that you wish to keep. The easiest way to do this is:
- Share all the private contacts.
- Log in to your user and make the contacts private, which moves them into that user.
Migrate any notes in the masteruser that you wish to keep:
- Select note, copy and paste contents into an email, send to new owner.
- Remove note.
- Repeat for all notes.
- The masteruser must share the folder(s) with the new owner, giving read, write and admin privileges.
- New owner copies the files to a private folder of their own.
- Any website configuration will need to be duplicated at the new owner's end.
- The masteruser can then safely remove the original files.
- Exports the calendar from the masteruser.
- Imports this calendar into a new private calendar in another user.
- Delete the copy in the masteruser.
- The new owner may wish to set up an alias matching the masteruser after migration to help ensure they're able to receive event notifications for old events.
Any mail owned by the masteruser will be automatically migrated to a folder called
FromMasterUserin the mail account of the admin user performing the plan change.
2. Consider quota usage
All users within an account on the new pricing must belong to the same plan: you can no longer mix and match Basic and Professional level users within a single account.
Check the mail storage usage for each user in your account and make sure they're within the quota allowed for the plan you want to move to. The process of moving to a current plan will automatically adjust the quota costs if a user requires more quota than the default the plan provides.