Using other email addresses
You can set up Fastmail to send and receive email from other accounts you have, so you can handle all of your mail in one place:
- Open the Settings → Import & Setup screen.
- If you see your other email provider listed, click on its icon. If you don't see yours listed, click IMAP. Enter your email address and password for your other account, and follow any instructions you see on the screen.
- For most accounts, that's all we need, but if needed, we'll ask you to enter the server names. In that instance, you'll have to find out what they are from your other email provider.
- On the next screen, you have the option to import your mail from this account. If you'd like to do this, please make sure to keep this ticked. If you do not want to import mail from your other account into your Fastmail mailbox, leave this unticked.
- Below the option to import mail, you have two options: Keep fetching mail from your other inbox, and set up sending from your other address. If you would like to do either of these, please click the check boxes. Then, click do it.
Now, you're able to send and receive mail from your other account!
You can view and edit accounts you've set up to fetch and/or send mail by going to the Settings → Import & Setup screen. Accounts you've set up will be listed underneath Connected Services.
By default, mail that's fetched is sorted into your inbox folder, but if you'd like mail to go into a separate folder, you can set this up on the Settings → Import & Setup screen. Once on this screen, do the following:
- Under Connected Services, you'll see a list of addresses you fetch mail from. Click View & Edit.
- On the next screen, click Edit next to the account you'd like to change the set up for.
- Next to Fetch Mail, you'll see text that says "fetch mail from this account into...". Click the drop down menu to choose a folder other than your Inbox.
If you'd like to set up a signature or change other settings when sending from your other address, go to the sending identities screen.
Own domain? If your other address is at a domain you own, you probably want to just host your domain with Fastmail instead of fetching mail from your current email host.
Troubleshooting adding a Gmail account
If you're having trouble adding a Gmail account, make sure that IMAP access is enabled.
If you're still having trouble, please login to your Gmail account, and go to Settings (the gear icon at the top right) then click the Labels tab. Make sure that Show in IMAP is checked for each of your folders. If the folder is not IMAP-enabled, we won't be able to download mail from the folder. Next, click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. Make sure IMAP is enabled, and in the folder size limits section select: "Do not limit the number of messages in an IMAP folder".
Troubleshooting iCloud mail
If you're trying to fetch or send from your iCloud account, you'll need to get a new app-specific password from iCloud to use with Fastmail.
You can find the Apple Support instructions on how to generate an app-specific password on this page
Issues while fetching mail
If you have "fetch mail" turned on and we cannot connect to the server, we'll send you an email to let you know. If 5 connection errors happen in a row, we'll automatically disable fetching mail. This usually happens because the password has been changed. You can update it on the Settings → Import & Setup screen.
Most of the time, issues with fetching mail can be resolved using the troubleshooting tips above. If you continue having issues, please contact our friendly support team. They're more than happy to assist!