Copyright © 1999–2016 FastMail Pty Ltd
Remote images blocked to protect your privacy
When receiving email, we block any images or other content that isn't sent with the email if you are viewing through our web interface. You must click to load the remote content in order to view it.
Why aren't the images sent with the email?
Companies often keep images and files on their webservers rather than sending them with the email. They can do this for two reasons:
- It keeps the email itself small as the image isn't being sent to your inbox, just a web link.
- Every time you load up the image from their server, they are notified that someone is viewing it. While they don't know any specific details about you or your email account, they can get information about your browser type and your internet address (which reveals your rough location). They use this information to tailor their content and to track how successful their email campaigns are.
Why do we block remote content?
We block remote content by default because:
- Your mail loads faster as there's less content to download and then display.
- We value your privacy. Companies can infer information about you when you view an image stored on their server.
Note: If you do choose to load the remote content, our servers load the images on your behalf so the image host still doesn't know your internet address or your browser.
I want to see the images without clicking
You can customise how we block the remote content in your Settings → Mail Preferences screen, in the Reading section.
- Always load external content - All images are always shown.
- Load external content from my contacts, otherwise ask - Always show images from contacts in your address book, but otherwise ask. A limited circle of trust.
- Ask before loading any content - Trust nobody.
You can also create a wildcard entry in your address book such as
*avengers.org. Then images will load whether
firstname.lastname@example.org contacts you or
email@example.com or anyone else at that domain. This will also affect your spam filtering as it will declare this domain is trusted. We don't apply spam checks to trusted senders.